Friday, September 17, 2010

Life Lessons Through a Ford Taurus

Have you seen the new Ford Taurus? I was asked that question while on my way to pick up my rental car the other day. I was told repeatedly that it was worth the $5.00 a day extra to upgrade. Everyone at the rental place seemed to agree so I took a chance and signed the papers. Let me say that this car is way different than the Taurus that my grandparents used to drive! I took it back to the church office and told everyone that the rental company gave me the coolest car ever. They all ran out to the patio overlooking the parking lot and were canvassing the parking looking for a car that was worthy of my excitement. When I told them I was driving that white Taurus in the corner they laughed at me. Their reaction was much like mine until they got up close and looked inside. Their perception was changed as well.
I'm not trying to sell you a new car (although if you have a chance to upgrade or downgrade to one I would do it). My experience with the Taurus made me look at my faith in a new way. When people hear the word "Taurus" they think of the uber conservative staple of middle class suburban transportation that was popular during much of the 90's and have a hard time shaking that stereotype. I can't blame them. I thought the same thing until I drove it, I mean, I can't imagine my grandmother using paddle shifters on the steering wheel as she zooms to the senior center. Here is where my world got rocked: when people hear the name "Christian" I think it elicits the same response.
I have been challenged this week to resemble Christ. I want people to associate my actions, words and deeds with what they have heard about Jesus. When the people I meet everyday find out I am a Christian I want them to say, "That makes sense. I knew there was something different about you." rather than looking at me like I just praised the new Ford Taurus. Ephesisans 5:1 says that I should be "an imitator of God". When people look at me they should see God looking back. How am I supposed to do that? I think it starts with love and ends with me being real and genuine. Jesus chose to use people like me to impact culture and I need to do a better job. I have to start today.

No comments:

Post a Comment