Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A Free Future

Thanks to Japan everyone in southern California is talking about earthquakes and what we should do to get ready in case "the big one" hits. I spent some time thinking about what I would put in an emergency kit but then I heard one guy on the radio say that a 2 week supply of food and water is a joke and that you need more than that so I gave up thinking about it. It still got me thinking tho.
As Christians I don't think we spend enough time thinking about our spiritual future. When a life emergency happens often times we aren't ready for it. When our faith gets shaken we start to doubt the reality of God and eventually ditch our faith and bury ourselves in our self misery.
To stay connected to Jesus we need to spend some time storing up spiritual things. Right now I feel the presence of God in some way or another every day and I can't imagine living my life outside of his embrace. It is important to me to do whatever I can so I never slip away from Him.

Here are 3 quick suggestions to ponder:

1. I can't overstate the importance of spending time in God's word every day. Sometimes the word of God is the only solid ground we have to stand on.
2. Having an ongoing conversation with Jesus may seem awkward at times but it is good for the soul. Churches call it prayer but to me it is an ongoing conversation.
3. Staying connected to your church is the most practical thing you can do. There will be seasons where I don't pray as much, or where its hard to find motivation to read my Bible but when I start to lose connection with my church family I know I'm in trouble.

I pray that a crisis never happens but I pray even harder that if it does I would draw closer to God and I pray that for you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment